Copyright © 2008-
Thomas Colman Dibdin
Rye House Gatehouse, Stanstead Abbots, Hertfordshire
A watercolour measuring 8" x 11".
Signed T.C. Dibdin and dated 1836.
About the Artist
Thomas Colman Dibdin (1810-
Rye House Gatehouse, Stanstead Abbots, Hertfordshire. Rye House, on the north bank of the River Lea, was built in 1443 by Sir Andrew Ogard, along with stables, barns and malt house. A moat, now partly filled in, surrounded it on all sides. None of the original medieval buildings have survived, with the exception of the Gatehouse. In 1683 the House and its then owner, Richard Rumbold, were written into history for the part they played in the infamous ‘Rye House Plot’, in which Whig conspirators plotted unsuccessfully to assassinate King Charles II and his brother en route back to London from the Newmarket races.
The Gatehouse was then used as a workhouse for the parish before the Poor Law of 1834. Mr W. Henry Teale, who ran the Rye House Hotel, started to develop the area in 1849 as a popular entertaining place for Londoners on a day out. The Gatehouse was badly damaged by fire in 1936, but declared a Scheduled Ancient Monument in the 1950s and rescued by the Lee Valley Park authority in 1970.
This is a particularly early work by Dibdin. Another rare early view of the Gatehouse
was produced by Paul Sandby (1730-
|Sir Alfred East|
|Walter B. Gash|
|Fred Jay Girling|
|Thomas C. Gotch|
|Matthew H. Holding|
|G. H. B. Holland|
|Frank B. Jowett|
|J. T. Nettleship|
|T. L. Shoosmith|
|William T. Wright|